Thursday, February 6, 2014

Adult Mac & Cheese


Last year for my birthday, my friend Meghan treated me to dinner at Granite City.  I had never been there before and the waitress suggested I try their Adult Mac & Cheese.  I was in heaven.  It was the best mac and cheese I have ever eaten and even though I was completely stuffed halfway through, I ate every last drop because it was just that amazing. I'm pretty sure Meghan had to stop me from licking the bowl clean.  It was THAT good. 

A few weeks later I had the craving for this amazing mac and cheese - so I was bound and determine to make a copycat version and I have to admit it, it's bowl licking delicious! Eric says it is in his top 5 favorite things I cook.  We eat this a couple times a month and it never disappoints.


Ingredients:
- 1 box (16 oz.) rigatoni pasta
- 16 oz. alfredo sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled bacon (or real bacon bits)
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes


Cook the Pasta: Prepare pasta according to the directions on the box.  I like my pasta extra saucy, so I usually use a little less than the full box of pasta.


Heat Sauce: While your pasta is cooking, heat the alfredo sauce in a sauce pan. You could be fancy and make your own alfredo sauce, but I find that a jar from the grocery store tastes pretty delicious and is a heck of a lot easier.


Add Cheese: Once the sauce is hot, turn the heat to low and slowly add the cheese to the afredo sauce. Stir the sauce as the cheese is melting. You can probably use any sort of cheese you like, so if you aren't into spicy food - don't use pepper jack!


Add Red Papper & Bacon: Stir in as much or as little red pepper as you'd like.  I suggest 1/2 tsp.  I have a high spicy tolerance so I add a lot.  If you don't - take it easy.  Add about 1/4 cup of crumbled bacon or real bacon bits. (Note: if I am using real bacon bits, I usually pour them into a microwave safe bowl and nuke them for about 30 seconds to crisp them up a little bit before adding them to the sauce.)


Drain, Mix & Serve: Once the pasta is finished cooking, drain it and mix it with the cheesy alfredo sauce. Serve and enjoy immediately!

If you are a fan of baked mac and cheese, you can easily bake this.  After you completed the above steps, pour the mac and cheese into a baking dish, top with plain bread crumbs and pop it into the broiler for a few minutes.

Another variation is to add grilled chicken to the mac and cheese after serving.


1 comment: